The engineering and technology group SENER is ranked 32nd in the annual ranking of the top 225 international companies in engineering design published by the specialized journal ENR (Engineering News-Record).... [+]
SENER has been active in ground-based astronomy and large scientific installations since the year 2000. The company’s technological excellence is manifest through an extensive portfolio of projects, including clients such as the European Southern Observatory (ESO).
SENER’s work in Astronomy covers:
- Optical systems: from structural elements through mechanisms for optical and focal plane systems.
- Electromechanical components and systems.
- Instrumentation systems: for space missions and science facilities, including synchrotron radiation facilities. In addition, SENER provides engineering support to experimental beamline users who need to develop custom instruments for their experimental stations. Its expertise has been proven through its experience in landmark European facilities such as the European Synchrotron Research Facility (ESRF) and other High-Energy Physics research groups.
- Telescope mirror positioning systems: precision positioning and pointing systems for optical components such as mirrors, lenses, filters, etc. The company specializes in creating customized high-performance actuation and positioning systems for all types of mirrors, including mirrors of exceptional size and weight (which are positioned in five degrees of freedom, with hexapods reaching accuracies of the order of microns and tip-tilt devices for correcting the field of vision and observing the infrared spectrum).
In the field of positioning systems, SENER’s capabilities include:
- opto-mechanical and electronics design;
- control software;
- analysis and simulation;
- subcontracting of mirrors;
- assembly and integration;
- equipment validation and testing with optical instruments in seismically isolated facilities.
Related content with Astronomy
SENER extends its commitment to innovation and technology through its participation in BIND 4.0, the public-private startup accelerator programme in the industrial sector, in the field of Industry 4.0.... [+]
Telmo Echániz from the University of the Basque Country has been recognised with the Best Doctoral Thesis award granted by the SENER Foundation, which is celebrating its 15th anniversary this year. ... [+]