MARES (Muscle Atrophy Research and Exercise System) is a European Space Agency (ESA) facility for [+]
Microgravity and life support
SENER develops both system engineering and equipment and devices for a wide range of biological and biomedical research programs and applications in the field of manned flights, where experiments in microgravity are crucial to several areas of science and for future long-duration manned missions.
Its team of experts, with more than 30 years’ experience in life support systems, produces the specifications, design, qualification, integration and verification of systems, equipment and instrumentation for manned flights such as:
- Human physiology research and monitoring systems.
- Life sciences experiment support equipment.
- Protein crystallization devices.
- Coolers and freezers for physiological and biological sample preservation.
SENER is also involved in developing technology and engineering for Closed Ecological Life Support Systems (CELSS), an area in which biology, chemistry and food and agriculture technology converge with traditional engineering, all with the ambitious goal of developing self-sustaining habitats in which humans can live in harsh conditions, through:
- Collaboration with the engineering and control of the MELISSA pilot plant.
- System engineering and development of technology for water and organic waste recycling and treatment systems.
- Development of sensors for contaminants in water , microbial and biomass monitoring and detection.
- System studies on the feasibility of a Closed Ecological System and Habitability Center (CES/HABLAB).
Related content with Microgravity and life support
This new laboratory is inaugurated on 25 November 2009 at Intexter, the textiles laboratory at the UPC campus in Terrassa, as a result of collaboration with the UPC Department of Materials, the UPC School of Industrial and Aeronautical Engineering (ETSEIAT), the SENER engineering company and the CTAE Aerospace Research and Technology Centre. The laboratory will be used for student hands-on training, research on advanced composite materials and manufacturing processes, especially for aeronautic applications.... [+]
SENER's presence in Catalonia has grown in terms of personnel, expertise and projects; an ascent that has enabled it to become one of the region's leading engineering and technology companies. SENER's presence in Catalonia has grown in terms of personnel, expertise and projects; an ascent that has enabled it to become one of the region's leading engineering and technology companies.... [+]