The Secondary Mirror Drive System (M2DS) of the GTC consists of two main elements: a high-precision hexapode with field correction to drive a 1.2 m and 46 kg beryllium mirror. The system is water-cooled, has integrated power and control electronics ... [+]
Optomechanics and Astronomy
In the field of Astronomy, SENER is recognized for its ability to carry out multidisciplinary projects in optomechanics, large mobile structures, instrumentation including optics, mechanics, electronics and SW and actuators and Infrastructure control. These activities are developed in parallel for space missions and land-based astronomy telescopes.
SENER's work in Astronomy encompasses:
- Active optics: SENER is an industry leader in opto-mechanical positioning systems for large mirrors for telescopes. The company specializes in developing high-performance custom actuating systems for all types of mirrors, including large and heavy mirrors (positioned in five degrees of freedom, featuring hexapods with micron-level precision and tip-tilt mechanisms for field correction and infra-red observation).
- Optical systems: from structural elements and devices for optical and focal plane subsystems to complete optical systems, including optical correctors with 1m lens barrels and space telescopes designed for observing the earth.
- Systems for telescopes: From the design and deployment of large high-precision mobile structures to the development of moving devices and focal plane co-rotators
- Electromechanical components and systems.
- Instrumentation systems: for scientific facilities and space missions, including Synchrotron irradiation facilities. In addition, SENER offers engineering support for experimental beamline users who need to develop custom instruments for their stations. Its extensive knowledge and proven work experience can be seen in leading European facilities, such as the ALBA Synchrotron and in other High-Energy Physics research groups.
In the area of positioning systems, SENER's services include:
- Opto-mechanical and electronic design.
- Optical design
- Control software.
- Analysis and simulation.
- Sub-contracting of the mirrors.
- Assembly and integration.
- Equipment validation and testing with optical instrumentation in seismically isolated facilities.
SENER has a broad portfolio of projects that attest to the quality of its solutions and includes clients such as the European Space Agency (ESA), the European Southern Observatory (ESO), and the Canary Islands Astrophysics Institute (IAC). Solutions contributed by SENER can be found in:
GRAAL (GRound layer Adaptive optics Assisted by Lasers) is the adaptive optics module for the Hawk-I NIR imager and is aimed at upgrading a VLT 8m telescope to an Adaptive Telescope, providing turbulence corrected images at the foci.The GRAAL Main As... [+]
SENER was responsible for the conceptual design and validation of the field stabilization unit’s performance for the M5 mirror. This was done by designing and integrating a scale-one demonstrator for the Extremely Large Telescope (ELT) during its p... [+]
The Extremely Large Telescope (ELT) is a revolutionary new ground-based telescope concept that will have a 39-metre main mirror and will be the largest optical/near-infrared telescope in the world. The ELT concept started in 2005, the programme was a... [+]
Systems for telescopes
SEOSAT is a multispectral high resolution wide swath world coverage imager, designed for systematic acquisition of Spanish territory and minimum revisit time. It will be operational in 2020 with a nominal life of 7 years, having a Sun-synchronous orb... [+]
SENER developed the Calibration and Shutter Mechanism (CSM) for the Multi-Spectral Instrument (MSI) for the Sentinel-2. The Calibration and Shutter Mechanism (CSM) is located at the entrance to the optical instrument. During launch, it protects the ... [+]
The purpose of ATHENA (Advanced Telescope for High Energy Astrophysics) is to study the hot and energetic universe and obtain information about black holes and how they relate to the creation of galaxies and groups of galaxies. It combinesa huge X-... [+]
WEAVE (WHT Enhanced Area Velocity Explorer) is a new wide-field spectrograph being developed for the 4.2-m William Herschel Telescope (WHT) located in the Observatorio del Roque de los Muchachos on the island of La Palma (Spain). The instrument inclu... [+]
WEAVE is a new wide-field multi-object spectroscopy (MOS) facility proposed for the prime focus of the 4.2m William Herschel Telescope placed in La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain. The facility comprises: A Focus Translation System, already designed,... [+]
Related content with Optomechanics and Astronomy
The President of SENER, Jorge Sendagorta, has been awarded the Honorary Member's medal, which is granted by the Spanish Institute of Engineering (Instituto de Ingeniería de España, IIE). This institution decided to give the distinction to Jorge Sendagorta after he was nominated by the Spanish Association of Naval and Ocean Engineers, in recognition of his professional career. According to the institution: “It's a prize to the engineer, but undoubtedly also to the engineering carried out at SENER, which is spearheading Spanish engineering around the world and in the most innovative sectors."... [+]
SENER ha sido galardonada por el diario Deia en los Premios Vodafone Deia Innovation Sariak 2018. Con este reconocimiento, el diario destaca “la constante tradición innovadora de SENER durante todos estos años”, en declaraciones del propio medio.... [+]