PROBA is a space program managed by ESA for the in-orbit demonstration of platform and payload [+]
DTR-DM. Deployable Thermal Radiator Deployment Mechanism
- Client: IBERESPACIO / Space Systems Loral
- Start date: 2010
The DTR-DM was developed for Iberespacio’s radiator panel for Loral, where the majority of the qualification tests were performed. Moreover, in the H2020 PEGASUS program to develop a radiator panel for European commercial satellites, the design of the previous DTR was adapted to PEGASUS’s requirements while maintaining the same mechanism concept.
- It is a mechanism to deploy a radiator panel with all its flexible fluid lines and cables.
- The working part of the mechanism is attached to the fixed part by means of two ball joints.
- The mechanism is driven by four clock springs, and deployment speed is regulated by two viscous dampers in order to control deployment. The viscous dampers are secured to the mechanism by means of two flexible couplings in order to be able to disconnect them from the panel's power line.
- Finally, the mechanism is kept in the deployed position against the end-of-stroke stop limits by means of the residual torque of the deployment springs. The end-of-stroke stop limits have a set of Belleville springs to adjust the panel's natural frequency to client requirements.
The concept behind this mechanism can be adapted to deploy any type of single-deployment appendage that requires additional torque due to flexible tubes and/or wiring. By way of example, the deployment mechanisms of the SolO I-Boom are based on this design.
- Totally passive mechanism
- Mass: 5.6 kg
- Deployment range: 180º
- Deployed angle precision: <0.3º
- Axis direction: 4400 N/mm
- Radial on interface plane: 16000 N/mm
- Radial off plane: 12000 N/mm
- Rotation around the axis: 1300 N·m/rad
- Maximum loads:
- Axis direction: 1900 N
- Radial on interface plane: 5400 N/mm
- Radial off plane: 6400 N
- First natural frequency: 160 Hz
- Motor torque:
- Undeployed 24 N·m
- Deployed: 12.6 N·m
- Maximum friction torque: 1.3 N·m @ -65ºC
- Dimensions: 545 x 207 x 129 mm3
- Range of temperatures qualified:
- Pre-operating: -65ºC (damper -55ºC) / +90ºC
- Operating: -65ºC (damper -25ºC) / +55ºC
- Post-operating (survival)
It can be adapted to different sizes, stiffnesses and torques depending on the application.
Other programsSee all
The exobiology space mission ExoMars (Exobiology on Mars), the objective of which is to search [+]
The GAIA Deployment Sunshield Assembly (DSA), provides a stable and continuous shadow environment to the [+]
SEOSAT is a multispectral high resolution wide swath world coverage imager, designed for systematic acquisition [+]