PROBA is a space program managed by ESA for the in-orbit demonstration of platform and payload [+]
SOLAR ORBITER. FDMs subsystem (Feedthroughs, Door & Mechanisms, and electronic unit)
- Client: AIRBUS DS LTD (UK)
- Start date: 2010
- Ending date: 2017
This subsystem consists on several through-wall ﬁlters (located on the Heat Shield) that provide the satellite with non-hermetic protective covering for its remote detection instruments. Some of these feedthroughs (6) need a door cover to protect the instruments in some operational conditions. The door is the component that prevents sun incidence from going into the feedthrough. It is located at the sun entrance side of the feedthrough. Each door provides identical interface to the mechanism rotating shaft interface.
The generic design consists of a hollow structure, mounted to the Heat Shield (HS) support panel and supporting the top layers of the HS. Inside the hollow structure there are internal vanes that, together with the top and bottom ﬂanges of the feedthrough, deﬁne the Unobstructed Field of View (UFOV) for the instruments.
The FTs main functions are:
- Support the top layer of the heat shield
- Protect internal part of the heat shield from direct Sun illumination. The FTs close the gap in the heat shield that is needed to provide the instrument an UFOV.
Door & Mechanism
Each door is actuated by a mechanism where its major requirements are:
- High temperature working conditions till 500° C.
- High random vibration levels: 73grms (out of plane axis) and 52grms (in plane axes).
- High emissivity and absortance properties for compatibility with the instruments.
Coating declared as a critical technology process for the instrument needs. An exhaustive coating trade-off was performed and included different technologies and processes, focused on the thermo-optical, working temperatures, adhesion and electrical conductivity requirements, these requirements are sometimes contradictories in terms to fulﬁl all of them at the same level.
- PVD (Astro Black®) technology was selected as the baseline technology for coating:
- Application: Thermo optical protection
- Emissivity (ε): 0.72 – 0.76
- Absortance (α ): 0.88 – 0.90
- α/ε ratio: 1.18 – 1.20
- Use Temperature Range (° C): -180 to 500
- TIS (%): 10 – 14
- Appearance: Black-violet, homogeneous and even appearance
- Typical Thickness (μm): 3 – 8
- Coatable substrates: Titanium, super alloys, steels. Aluminum (restrictions apply)
Other programsSee all
The exobiology space mission ExoMars (Exobiology on Mars), the objective of which is to search [+]
The GAIA Deployment Sunshield Assembly (DSA), provides a stable and continuous shadow environment to the [+]
SEOSAT is a multispectral high resolution wide swath world coverage imager, designed for systematic acquisition [+]