PROBA is a space program managed by ESA for the in-orbit demonstration of platform and payload [+]
WHT: WEAVE Corrector system
- Client: INSTITUTO DE ASTROFISICA DE CANARIAS (IAC)
- Country: Spain
- Start date: 2017
WEAVE is a new wide-field multi-object spectroscopy (MOS) facility proposed for the prime focus of the 4.2m William Herschel Telescope placed in La Palma, Canary Islands, Spain. The facility comprises:
- A Focus Translation System, already designed, manufactured and delivered by SENER
- A new 2-degree field-of-view Prime Focus Corrector (PFC)
- A 1000-multiplex Fibre Positioner, a small number of individually deployable integral field units, and a large single integral field unit (IFU).
SENER has been contracted by the Instituto Astrofísico de Canarias (IAC) for the detailed design, construction, validation and delivery of Prime Focus Corrector (PFC).
The PFC is an optomechanical sub-system ok 1700 kg consisting of a structural housing supporting the six lens assemblies. It provides an optically corrected 2 degree FOV and is mounted at the prime focus of the WHT.
The corrector system includes:
- Two fixed lens. The larger one (L1) of 1.1 m and 230 kg. They are assembled inside an INVAR mounts with a flexible compensation ring.
- Two doublets with two lenses each one. The lenses are moved by means of rotating system to compensate the atmospheric dispersion.
- External steel housing with clean protection and maintenance access.
- Rotators actuators and sensors including control electronics.
The opto-mechanical alignment is verified at each lens+mount level and for the complete integrated system.
The project is expected to be developed along 14 months and expected to be completed with the acceptance at factory and delivery of the equipment. SENER will also provide all the ancillary equipment that includes handling equipment and integration tools.
Other programsSee all
SEOSAT is a multispectral high resolution wide swath world coverage imager, designed for systematic acquisition [+]
Development, design and manufacturing of a micro electromechanical actuator for aeronautical applications tested and flight [+]
SENER participated in the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) and his contribution was the development of [+]